Deadline: November 23, 2020
Entry Fee: €50
Prizes: €1,000, €2,000, €5,000, participation in the exhibition, publication in the catalogue
We are happy to announce the sixth edition of the annual PORTRAITS – Hellerau Photography Awards
Our big 2020 venue, the exhibition halls of Dresden’s Museum of Science and Technology which also hosts the collections of the city’s former Museum of Photography, will be revived once again to host our annual finalist exhibition. Numerous solo exhibitions, including a large solo show by the current artist in residence, Agata Wieczorek (Poland), and a number of public events complete the competition program.
For the annual exhibition, a catalog with the works of all finalists will be published.
Dresden, famous pioneer city of photography. And nearby: Hellerau, Germany’s first garden city. The Festspielhaus Hellerau has been perched on Dresden’s “Green Hill” for over 100 years. Since 2015, it has been hosting the PORTRAITS – Hellerau Photography Award.
Here, photographers from all over the world apply, translating the themes of our time into portraits. Their works are shown in the Festspielhaus and, since 2017, at other extraordinary locations across the Saxon capital: in small galleries, abandoned industrial buildings, in studios and museums. Over the past four years, we have presented more than two hundred photographers from more than 35 countries in 25 different exhibitions.
Two jurors of the first PORTRAITS competition, photographer Matthias Creutziger and art historian Dr Katja Schumann in 2015 summed up what the Hellerau jury is looking for:
- At best, photos should emphasize the character of the model, being true ‘psychograms’…
- We expect a new visual language that tries to disrupt any former paradigm.
- We want to feel what kind of photographer is behind the camera, too.
- We don’t understand fashion photography, neither old nor new.
- Sheer professionalism is too little.
- Mere beauty is not enough.
- We expect true passion – through the medium of photography.
- 1st Prize – 5,000 EUR
- 2nd Prize – 2,000 EUR
- 3rd Prize – 1,000 EUR
- 4th Prize – Residency Prize at Hellerau – European Centre of the Arts
- Invitations to various solo exhibitions in Dresden
- Carena Schlewitt
- Carla van de Puttelaar
- Angela Matyssek
- Andreas Krase
- Tomasz Lewandowski
- Jens Heinrich Zander
- Ulrike Lerchl
- 50,- EUR (student discount: 50%) for a single work or a series of up to 20.