Deadline: September 2, 2019
Entry fee: from €13 to €40
Prizes: participation in the exhibition
There are all sorts of natural and artificial scenes that capture the attention of photographers, compel and inspire them to pause, observe and create an image for the sake of the scene and convey a personal interpretation of what they see. These types of photographs go by a variety of names; they are called landscapes, cityscapes, streetscapes, seascapes, waterscapes, cloudscapes, or even desertscapes, treescapes, bodyscapes, and the like. Among these photographs the most successful ones go well beyond the mere recording of the visual qualities of a place as they bear the marks of the interpretive insights of the photographer. They make us contemplate a scene as meaningful and significant. For it is never challenging to merely re-present;it takes a novel conception of the scene to engage us, viewers, through the keen eyes and the creative mind of the photographer.
PH21 Gallery invites photographers to submit their work for a group exhibition themed –scapes. We are looking for submissions from all photographers who are interested in this subject and would like to share their work with a wider international audience through the exposure of PH21 Gallery. The theme is broadly construed, as the photographic portrayal of scenes of the natural and built environment is independent of generic or stylistic constraints. Indeed, we are interested in all possible creative photographic interpretations of the theme.
One juror’s choice and up to three honourable mentions will be selected and announced. The juror’s choice receives three free entries for any upcoming themed group exhibition calls at PH21 Gallery. (Each free entry includes up to 15 images.)
Curator: Zsolt Bátori
Zsolt is a philosopher of art and photographer. He currently serves as dean of the Faculty of Art and Creative Industries of the Budapest Metropolitan University, and visits the University of Murcia, Spain for regular research collaboration. He has conducted research and taught philosophy of art and photography courses at various universities in Hungary, the United States, Spain and Argentina, and has exhibited his photographic work internationally. Zsolt is also the founder and director of PH21 Gallery.
- Submission deadline: September 2, 2019
- Notification: All entrants will be notified 7–10 days after the deadline.
- Exhibition dates: September 26 – October 19, 2019
There are two submission options
- A) Standard submission: You may submit 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 images; these may be all individual works, or they may also include a series of maximum 5 photographs. The entry fee is €20.00 for the first 3 images, €25.00 for 5 images, €30.00 for 7 images, €35.00 for 10 images, and €40.00 for 15 images.
- B) Special fee: There is a special rate for maximum 5 images for students and unwaged persons as well as for applicants from low-income economies. The special fee is €13.00. Please do not ask us about your eligibility or send us any proof because we trust your judgement. The special rate is simply for people who – for the reasons indicated above – would not be able to afford the standard fee.