Deadline: September 23, 2019
Entry fee: from €13 to €40
Prizes: participation in the exhibition
Creating unique effects with lights and shadows captured by a camera is, according to many, one of the most intriguing means of photographic expression. Photographers have relied on the possibilities offered by the creative use of lights and shadows throughout the history of photography. In some cases lights and shadows are used to the effect of creating a formal compositional element; in others their role is to guide our gaze or focus our attention on specific parts of the image. Some images that rely on the interplay between light and shadow are dark-toned, while others present brightly lit scenes. The ways lights and shadows contribute to photographic meaning only depend on the imagination of the photographer.
PH21 Gallery invites photographers to submit their work for a group exhibition themed Light and Shadow. We are looking for submissions from all photographers who are interested in this time-honoured photographic subject and would like to share their work with a wider international audience through the exposure of PH21 Gallery. The theme is broadly construed; we welcome submissions from all photographic genres, including abstract compositions. We are interested in all possible creative photographic interpretations of the theme.
One juror’s choice and up to three honourable mentions will be selected and announced. The juror’s choice receives three free entries for any upcoming themed group exhibition calls at PH21 Gallery. (Each free entry includes up to 15 images.)
Curator: Zsolt Bátori
Zsolt is a philosopher of art and photographer. He currently serves as dean of the Faculty of Art and Creative Industries of the Budapest Metropolitan University, and visits the University of Murcia, Spain for regular research collaboration. He has conducted research and taught philosophy of art and photography courses at various universities in Hungary, the United States, Spain and Argentina, and has exhibited his photographic work internationally. Zsolt is also the founder and director of PH21 Gallery.
- Submission deadline: September 23, 2019
- Notification: All entrants will be notified 7–10 days after the deadline.
- Exhibition dates: October 24 – November 16, 2019
There are two submission options
- A) Standard submission: You may submit 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 images; these may be all individual works, or they may also include a series of maximum 5 photographs. The entry fee is €20.00 for the first 3 images, €25.00 for 5 images, €30.00 for 7 images, €35.00 for 10 images, and €40.00 for 15 images.
- B) Special fee: There is a special rate for maximum 5 images for students and unwaged persons as well as for applicants from low-income economies. The special fee is €13.00. Please do not ask us about your eligibility or send us any proof because we trust your judgement. The special rate is simply for people who – for the reasons indicated above – would not be able to afford the standard fee.