Deadline: October 31, 2020
Entry Fee: $25
Prizes: $350 Stipend, participation in the exhibition
Filter Photo hosts an annual call for proposals for the exhibition calendar at Filter Space. We welcome photography proposals of all types, whether traditional or experimental or coming from an emerging curator or a veteran artist. Filter Photo hopes to attract a broad range of proposals that reflect the creative diversity of the contemporary photography community.
Accepted Proposals Will Receive
- A 4 to 6-week exhibition at Filter Space in 2021 – 2022
- At least 1 exhibition reception
- The opportunity to host an event in conjunction with the exhibition (e.g. a workshop or artist’s talk)
- Exhibition marketing including printed postcards, an email blast to Filter Photo’s mailing list, and other social media promotion.
- Stipend (amount varies annually but not less that $350 for a solo artist)
2020 Exhibition Review Committee
- Sheridan Tucker Anderson – Assistant Director, Gallery 400 at University of Illinois at Chicago
- Jonas Becker – Artist and Educator
- Juli Lowe – Juli Lowe, Director, Catherine Edelman Gallery
- Duncan MacKenzie – Artist, Educator, and a Founder of Bad at Sports (B@S)
- Cecil McDonald Jr. – Artist and Educator
- Jennifer Murray – Executive Director, Filter Photo
- Daniel Ramos – Artist and Photographer
- Tricia Van Eck – Founder, 6018North
As Filter Photo is dedicated to serving and supporting the contemporary photography community, all exhibition proposals should relate to photography, photographic materials, or lens-based artwork. This definition is purposefully open-ended; moving-image work, installations, and performances related to photography may all be included in proposals. Artists, curators, and collectives are all welcome to submit proposals. For example, a single artist could submit a proposal for a solo show, or a collective could submit a proposal for a large group show.
In order to defray exhibition costs, Filter Photo offers a small stipend to accepted applicants. This amount is calculated based on recommendations by the Working Artists and the Greater Economy organization (W.A.G.E.), scaled to match Filter Photo’s budget.
Sample stipends are listed below, exact amounts are subject to change based on Filter Photo’s operating budget.
- Solo Exhibition: $350
- Two-Person Exhibition: $175 each
- Group Exhibition (3-4 Artists): $90 each