Deadline: October 9, 2020
Entry Fee: $35
Prizes: participation in the exhibition
Black Box Gallery is excited to announce a juried group photography exhibition on contemporary portraiture. Pose and Gesture, Image and Identity, Documentary and Street, Travel, Constructed Narrative, Self Portrait, Environmental, Vernacular and Snapshot, Family Narrative, Fashion and Nude, all have visual statements to make in the world of portraiture photography. What is the character, attitude and expression of contemporary portrait photography?
The exhibition is open to all photographers world wide, both amateur and professional.
Juror: Todd Johnson
Todd Johnson is the founder and director of Black Box Gallery. Todd received his MFA in Photography from the San Francisco Art Institute. He has been a photography portfolio reviewer for Photolucida and has juried The Drawers Program for Blue Sky Gallery. Todd has worked as an independent photography curator organizing shows by international photographers in Portland, OR, at Linfield College and Gallery Homeland. He has been a college photography instructor for 15 years in Portland. Johnson has exhibited his photographic work in Portland OR, at The University of Oregon (White Box Gallery), Marylhurst University (The Art Gym), Pacific Northwest College of Art, Reed College, Linfield College, FalseFront Gallery and Augen Gallery. National exhibitions include Bushwick Open Studios (Brooklyn, NY), Carroll Square Gallery (Washington, DC), Hi Lo Gallery (Olympia, Washington), Davis and Cline Gallery (Ashland, Oregon), Midway Gallery (Bloomington, Illinois) and The Diego Rivera Gallery (San Francisco, California).
- Each exhibition will have 24 photographs selected by the juror for exhibiton at the gallery.
- An additional 30 photographs will be selected by the juror for exhibition in our on-line gallery annex.
- All 54 photographs from the show will be included in a catalog available for purchase on Blurb Books.
- Black Box will provide Free printing, Free matting and Free framing for all of our exhibitions. The photographers who are selected into the exhibition by the juror will provide a high resolution Tiff or JPEG file for our gallery to print.
- We have 18” x 24” black frames. Our white mats are pre cut for 12” x 18”, 12” x 12” and 12” x 16” prints (we also have a few other odd sized matts). We print on an Epson Stylus Pro archival ink jet printer, on Epson Premium Luster Photo paper, in a color-calibrated environment. This is a very accurate custom print, just like a custom lab would print, we have over 25 years of custom printing experience.
- All exhibition prints will be kept in a flat file after the show for future sale and promotion for the photographer. This will allow the gallery to further promote our photographers and exhibitions to collectors, curators, critics and to the general public. Black Box will shread all gallery prints after 5 years of exhibition in the flat files.
- $35 per entry (an entry includes up to 5 photos)
All rights to the photographs remain with the photographer.