Deadline: September 21, 2020
Entry Fee: Free
Prizes: $400, $600, $1,200, $1,700
What is biodiversity?
Biodiversity is the variety of life on Earth. These forms of life include microorganisms, fungi, plants, and animals, including the communities that they form and the habitats in which they live.
According to the Convention on Biological Diversity, biodiversity is “the variability among living organisms from all sources including, inter alia, terrestrial, marine and other aquatic ecosystems and the ecological complexes of which they are part; this includes diversity within species, between species and of ecosystems.”
Biodiversity provides us with air, water, food and materials for medicine, clothing and shelter. Millions of people rely on biodiversity for livelihood and a host of ecosystem services. However, due to the continuous growth of population and overexploitation of biological resources, this “web of life” is now under serious threat.
Zooming in on Biodiversity: an ASEAN-wide photo contest
Zooming in on Biodiversity, a photo contest conceptualised by the ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity, is open to all amateur and professional photographers from the 10 ASEAN Member States.
While 2020 has been designated as the “super year for biodiversity,” it is also the year when the world was hit hard by the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). This pandemic resulted to lockdowns in many countries, travel bans, and movement restrictions. Hence, the theme for this year’s staging is Healing with Biodiversity: Building a Better Normal, to promote appreciation for the Region’s rich biodiversity and thereby promote its conservation to prevent future pandemics.
Over-all Theme: Healing with Biodiversity: Building a Better Normal
Submissions can be photos depicting humans’ perception of biodiversity in the time of a global health crisis, their appreciation for the Region’s wildlife species, and conservation initiatives to prevent future pandemics.
- Glimpse of a Better Normal – Photo entries for this sub-theme can be views from a person’s window, nature in the time of lockdowns, photos that portray social distancing, photos showing how humans live in harmony with nature, and portraits of ASEAN wildlife species in their natural habitats.
- The Macro Life – Entries can be photos of plants and animal species using macro lenses. Since a lot of areas are under strict lockdowns, photographers may not be able to take good outdoor shots. This sub-theme will allow them to magnify species that can easily be found in their homes, gardens, and other areas near them.
Special Category: Life within and around ASEAN Heritage Parks
The ASEAN Heritage Parks (AHP) Programme is a flagship programme of the ASEAN that was established to recognise national parks and nature reserves with outstanding wilderness and biodiversity values. It offers opportunities to strengthen regional connectivity and cooperation, as ecosystems and their services transcend national borders. The ACB serves as the Secretariat of the AHP Programme.
The AHPs are outstanding protected areas in the ASEAN region in terms of ecological completeness, biodiversity richness, and conservation importance.
This special category will highlight the natural and cultural richness of ASEAN Heritage Parks. Photos should be taken in any of the 49 declared AHPs.
- The competition is open to all citizens of ASEAN—Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
- Registration is FREE of charge.
- The contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers.
- A participant can send up to three (3) photographs ONLY.
- First Place: USD 1700
- Second Place: USD 1200
- Third Place: USD 600
- Special Category (ASEAN Heritage Parks): USD 400
- People’s Choice: USD 400