Deadline: November 29, 2019
Entry fee: Free
Prizes: €30,000 worth of Sony digital imaging equipment, valuable prizes, publication in the book, participation in the exhibition
For photography students worldwide
- Free to enter for anyone undertaking a full-time photography program
- Institutions must be registered for their students to take part
- Students answer a set brief with five to 10 images
- Awards for one overall winner and up to 10 shortlisted photographers
- Closing deadline: November 29, 2019 at 13.00 (GMT)
The Student competition rewards and showcases the work of the world’s most talented photography students.
Open to academic institutions worldwide, students are challenged to submit a series of three to five images responding to a particular brief. Ten shortlisted students are then chosen (one from each continent and four judges’ picks) and are flown to London to take part in exciting portfolios and photography masterclasses.
The ten shortlisted students are each given a Sony camera to shoot a new series of images to answer a second brief. From this work, one overall Student Photographer of the Year is chosen and receives €30,000 worth of Sony digital imaging equipment for his or her institution.
2020 Brief: Invisible lines
The world we live in is structured around a variety of invisible lines. This could be in a natural environment (ie oceans, mountains, forests), in our society (ie gender, wealth, race), or intellectually. Show the judges the stories of people fighting against that and trying to break the invisible lines that most intrigues you in a positive way.
It is an honour to have my work recognised by the World Photography Organisation and Sony. The award provides extra motivation to continue working and learning. My trip to London was a great experience, I met other finalists, had a professional portfolio review and then met photographic artist Nadav Kander. It was a unique opportunity and I hope to continue growing as a professional.”
Sergi Villanueva, Spain – 2019 Student Photographer of the Year
- Student Photographer of the Year receives €30,000 worth of Sony digital imaging equipment for his or her institution and inclusion in the Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London
- 10 shortlisted photographers receive flights and accommodation to the Awards ceremony in London, a range of Sony digital imaging equipment, publication in Sony World Photography Awards book and inclusion in the Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London