Opening: May 16, 2019
Deadline: September 16, 2019
Entry fee: Free
Prizes: $2,500, $1,000, $750, $500 Cash
The SPIE International Day of Light Photo Contest is an annual event that provides imagery to support the celebration of IDL.
The contest kicks off each year on IDL, 16 May, and runs for three months, giving professional and amateur photographers alike the opportunity to show how light impacts cultural, economic, and political aspects of our global society.
The theme of the photo contest is
A World of Light: The Vital Role That Light and Light-Based Technologies Play in Daily Life
Examples of content include, but is not exclusive to, artistic images that depict:
- Various properties of light and how it interacts with the atmosphere, nature, and materials
- Light technology such as lasers, LEDs, etc.
- Images created with light technology such as telescopes and microscopes
- People interacting with light and/or light technology
- The betterment of the human condition with light
- First prize: US $2,500
- Second prize: US $1,000
- Third prize: US $500
- Technology and Science prize: US $750