Deadline: September 16, 2020
Entry Fee: Free
Prizes: $500, $750, $1,000, $2,500
The SPIE International Day of Light Photo Contest is held annually to raise awareness about IDL and to demonstrate the impact light has on cultural, economic, and political aspects of our global society.
The theme of the photo contest is A World of Light: The Vital Role That Light and Light-Based Technologies Play in Daily Life. Examples of content include, but are not exclusive to, artistic images that depict:
- Various properties of light and how it interacts with the atmosphere, nature, and materials
- Light technology such as lasers, LEDs, etc.
- Images created with light technology such as telescopes and microscopes
- People interacting with light and/or light technology
- The betterment of the human condition with light
Amateur and professional photographers alike are encouraged to submit photos for a chance to win cash prizes.
New in 2020, SPIE has created a Youth Category for young photographers age 13-17 years old.
- 16 May 2020: The 2020 Photo Contest opens
- 16 September 2020: The 2020 Photo Contest closes
- 16 October 2020: Winners are notified
- 30 October 2020: Winners are announced
- First Prize: US $2,500
- Second Prize: US $1,000
- Third Prize: US $500
- Technology Prize: US $750
- Youth Prizes: Surprise gift box of SPIE Merchandise