Deadline: August 5, 2019
Entry fee: from €20 to €40
Prizes: Participation in the Exhibition
The human body, in full or in part, is often in the focus of various photographic genres. From documentary, event and street photography to fashion photography and the nude, photographers have always found ways of constructing images in which the specific portrayal of the human body gains significance. This may be stemming from the rich layers of meanings determined and shaped bythe specific socio-cultural context of the image, the visual interaction of the human body with the surrounding physical space, or the intriguing compositional possibilities offered by the body itself. When focussing on the body, some photographers explore movements, study expressive gestures and postures, or concentrate on the beauty and details of the human anatomy. Some narrate whole life stories through the depiction of the human body. Others may offer stern visual criticism of our normative conceptions of the human body and its mainstream representation in Western media.
PH21 Gallery invites photographers to submit their work for a group exhibition themed CorpoRealities. We are looking for submissions from all photographers who are interested in this subject, and who would like to share their work with a wider international audience through the exposure of PH21 Gallery. The theme is broadly construed without any photographic genre restrictions. Indeed, we are interested in all possible creative photographic interpretations of the theme. This exhibition will be presented in the new PH21 Gallery Project Room.
One juror’s choice and up to three honourable mentions will be selected and announced. The juror’s choice receives three free entries for any upcoming themed group exhibition calls at PH21 Gallery. (Each free entry includes up to 15 images.)
Curator: Zsolt Bátori
Zsolt is a philosopher of art and photographer. He currently serves as dean of the Faculty of Art and Creative Industries of the Budapest Metropolitan University, and visits the University of Murcia, Spain for regular research collaboration. He has conducted research and taught philosophy of art and photography courses at various universities in Hungary, the United States, Spain and Argentina, and has exhibited his photographic work internationally. Zsolt is also the founder and director of PH21 Gallery.
- Submission deadline: August 5, 2019
- Notification: All entrants will be notified 7–10 days after the deadline.
- Exhibition dates: August 29 – September 21, 2019
There are two submission options:
- A) Standard submission: You may submit 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 images; these may be all individual works, or they may also include a series of maximum 5 photographs. The entry fee is €20.00 for the first 3 images, €25.00 for 5 images, €30.00 for 7 images, €35.00 for 10 images, and €40.00 for 15 images.
- B) Special fee: There is a special rate for maximum 5 images for students and unwaged persons as well as for applicants from low-income economies. The special fee is €13.00. Please do not ask us about your eligibility or send us any proof because we trust your judgement. The special rate is simply for people who – for the reasons indicated above – would not be able to afford the standard fee.