Deadline: December 1, 2020
Entry Fee: first photograph to the contest – Free, novice-under 19 – Free, rest – €22
Prizes: €300, €3,000, Valuable Prizes, Trophies, Diplomas, Book Portfolio
The Maria Luisa Memorial is calling, one more time, photographers and filmmakers, both amateurs and professionals, to the thirty first edition of their contest. We start a new decade and we do it with the same initial purpose of trying to meet new, innovative and suggestive images that allow us to continue with the promotion of the artistic work of the work of the contestants, at the same time as with the diffusion of the natural environment and its necessary protection.
Mountain, nature, wildlife, mountaineering, climbing, landscape, underwater world, biodiversity, flora, extreme and adventure sports, etc. will be the reference of the edition in this contest one more year, not only in the photography categories but in the section dedicated to videos, films and documentaries as well. In addition, on this occasion, a new thematic category dedicated exclusively to black and white photography.
Year after year photographers from all over the world take part in this contest, having done it already from more than 100 different countries. With the passing of the years the contest has become a meeting place not only for widely recognized international photographers, but also for undiscovered talent and new photographers.
With the rules, instructions and advice provided you will easily be able to prepare your photographs and/or videos to compete in a contest that lacks any commercial purpose, and in which, as usual, only you and your work will be the true protagonists.
One more year, one more decade, good luck to everyone and good light.
All photographers and filmmakers who so desire, amateur or professional, may take part.
- A/ Mountain Landscape
Captions showing mountains and their environment, in any of their forms.
- B/ Alpinism
Captions showing alpinism, climbing on ice, mountain ski and the world of heights from a sports point of view, as well as the rest of the sports typical of high mountain and winter mountain.
- C/ Climbing
Images related to rock climbing, bouldering, big wall, urban climbing, climbing wall, etc. and the world of verticality.
- D/ Adventure and extreme sports
The purpose of this thematic category will be the photographs of all types of adventure activities and extreme sports which are practiced in the area mountains and nature, other than those referred to in paragraphs B / and C /, such as kayaking, highline, mountain biking, paragliding, mountain running, canyoning, caving, cave diving, scuba diving, wingsuit, surf, etc.
- E/ Man in the Mountain and/or Nature
The photos showing a sociocultural content referred to the native people of the mountains and to natural environments, as well as to their customs, traditions and ways of life, also those representative of hiking and trekking activities which can take place in these natural areas will fall within this category.
- F/ Animal World
Any animal photographed in their environment.
- G/ The world of birds
Any bird photographed in their environment.
- H/ Vegetal world
Any vegetal species photographed in its environment. Fungi are included.
- I/ Submerged World
The theme of this category are the photographs of fauna, flora and ecosystems characteristic of the submerged areas, both freshwater and saltwater.
- J/ Biodiversity
Captions in this category will show animals or plants in their natural habitat. Judges will take into account the link between the different species and their environment and, also, the image composition criteria on the environment.
- K/ Nature landscapes
Rest of landscapes not included in the A Category.
- L/ Creative photo
Captions where forms, textures, colours, etc are determining in the composition. Abstract and creative photo.
- M/ Macro picture
The world of the smallest ones. Macro photography.
- N/ Topic of the year
Black and white photography. The mountain, nature and adventure as well as the life forms which are characteristic of them and any of the sports that are practiced in them, shown in black and white, or in shades close to these colours.
- O/ Videos, films or documentaries
Its conductor axis should be the mountain, nature and / or adventure, as well as sports and other activities that are practiced in those environments, referring to its theme to any of those described for the previous categories.
- The Overall Winner of the “XXXI Memorial Maria Luisa”, will be awarded a cash prize of 3.000 Euros, a Trophy, a Diploma, a book portfolio and two invitations to the awards gala. The Overall Winner will be chosen from the fourteen category winners; the Jury will give the Prize to the most memorable & shocking caption. The overall winner will receive a cash prize 3.000 Euros, including the amount corresponding to his/her category.
- Winner Prize of each Category
€ 300, Trophy, Diploma, a book portfolio and two invitations to the awards gala.
- Young Photographers Prize
It will be awarded to the best photograph submitted by contestants not having reached the age of nineteen years on 1st December 2020. It will consist of a Samsung Tablet 4G, trophy, diploma, book portfolio and two invitations to the awards gala.
- Special award for the theme of the year
It will be a Citizen BN008 Watch, trophy, diploma, a book portfolio and two invitations to the awards gala.
- Award for best video, film, documentary of 31 MML
This prize will be endowed with a voucher worth 3000 euros, which can be exchanged, directly and at the request of the winner, for products marketed by Foto Ruano, trophy, diploma, book portfolio and two invitations to the awards gala.
The Judges Panel will also grant the consolation prizes or honorable mentions as it deems pertinent in each of the thematic categories.
- 01-09-2020 – Presentation of 31th COMPETITION and opening of the
period to send photographs.
- 01-12-2020 – Closing of the period to send photographs to the
- 05-12-2020 – Classification of received photographs begins.
- 12-12-2020 – Jury meetings start.
- 03-03-2021 – Awards are published and all contestants are notified.
- 05-05-2021 – Inauguration Film Festival 31 MML
- 07-05-2021 – Inauguration photo exhibition 31 MML
- 08-05-2021 – Prize winning ceremony in the city of Oviedo – Asturias
- 15-05-2021 – Sending catalogues to contestants who have booked
them and destruction of CDs and DVDs.
- 31-05-2021 – End of 31th edition.
- All contestants will be able to submit a free first photograph to the contest
- For the rest of the photos and videos, the participation fee for this year will be 22 Euros (VAT included) for adult photographers, a single payment will allow competing in all categories including videos and films
- For the novice-under 19 photographers, participation is free