Opening: November 27, 2019
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Entry fee: fron €12 to €35
Prizes: €1,000, €3,000, €5,000, participation in the exhibition, publication in the book
The Malta International Photography Award (MIPA) is a premier photo award that strives to share and promote the art and passion of photography at all levels from all across the world.
We aim to provide aspiring photographers from all around the globe with the chance to share their passion and world. We strive to connect the world through photography, and showcase the nature and cultures of different regions of the world to a global audience.
MIPA wants to provide international photographers with a deep insight into different approaches towards photography, and we hope to encourage people to push their personal and professional boundaries.
Abstract is our experimental category. There is no concept in this theme and photographers are invited to be non-objective and to come up with visual photographs that can evoke a deep-thought process in the viewer. All kinds of digital manipulation are allowed in this category.
Cities aims at having photographers focusing on architectural elements delving into urban lifestyles and also looking at life on the street.
- Everything Malta
A new category for Autumn/Winter 2019, supported by VisitMalta. Showcasing the beauty and spirit of the island, we want to open up this Mediterranean gem we call home to a worldwide audience. This category accepts all types of photography styles and topics, as long as they are based in or related to Malta.
Nature is a theme that can be best explained as landscapes, wildlife and the scientific curiosities that exist in the natural world. Themes such as agriculture the oceans forests freshwater bodies and mountains are all accepted.
People focuses on the human figure, which has long been a source of fascination and inspiration. The focus should include portraits and scenes that provide a glimpse into daily life, with a person or persons being the main subject or theme of the study.
Storytelling is a category that invites the photographer to submit a series of 5 images. While it is true that every photograph has its own story sometimes one image does not do the story justice. As such we would like photographers to tell a story through a collection of images that work harmoniously together.
MIPA offers a total pool of €54,000 in cash prizes to be awarded to the top 3 photos from each of the six categories in the MIPA Autumn 2019 Edition:
- First Prize for the winning picture: €5,000
- Second Prize for the runner-up: €3,000
- Third Prize for the third placed picture: €1,000
- The presence in the yearly MIPA Exhibition will be awarded to the top 5 photos from each category.
- The selected pictures and collections will be exhibited at a prestigious location in Valletta, Malta, during a public exhibition which will be held in June/July 2020.
- The top 10 photos from each category will also be featured in our annual photobook publication.
- The winning pictures will be featured in ‘MIPA Edition 2’, an original high quality publication by the Malta International Photo Award that will be launched in Spring/Summer 2020.
- An entry fee of €12 is required for each photograph submitted in the categories of Abstract, Cities, Everything Malta, Nature and People.
- Storytelling submissions, with 5 photos required for each submission, carry an entry fee of €35 per submission.