Deadline: September 28, 2020
Entry Fee: Free
Photographer Edward Burtynsky and CONTACT are requesting submissions for the 2020 Burtynsky Grant—a $5,000 annual grant to support a Canadian artist in the creation of a photobook.
Established in 2016, this grant is intended for photo-based artists who are in the advanced stages of developing a cohesive, rigorous body of work presented in book form. The jury is looking for submissions from those that have created a book dummy and who have had little to no prior opportunity to self-publish or work with a publisher. You must be a Canadian citizen or resident to be eligible.
- 2019 – Teresa Eng, China Dream
Honourable Mentions: Valerian Mazataud, Liwa Mairin; Luis Mora, Say it with Flowers; Heather Rattray, 98 Ways to Say Very Good
- 2018 – Birthe Piontek, Abendlied
Honourable Mentions: Eve Tagny, Lost Love; Ian Willms, We Shall See
- 2017 – The Broadbent Sisters, A Telepathic Book
- 2016 – Aaron Friend Lettner, Doorways
Deadline September 28, 2020
Please submit the following as a PDF by a file hosting service (eg. WeTransfer or Dropbox) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minimum ten (10) spreads of your book dummy that best communicate your project and vision for publication
- Project statement about your photobook and how you would use the grant funding (ie. rough budget details)
- Expressions of interest from publishers, and/or other publishing grants, if available
- CV and/or artist statement
Please note that due the COVID-10 pandemic, CONTACT staff are working from home and cannot accept hardcopy submissions this year. Thank you for your understanding.