Deadline: August 25, 2019
Entry fee: Free
Athens Photo World 2019, with the donation of Stavros Niarchos Foundation, organizes the annual Yannis Behrakis International Photojournalism Award for professional photojournalists.
At its inaugural event, Athens Photo World will award a 15,000 € cash prize to a completed project of reportage or documentary photography, created within the last 3 years.
Those wishing to participate should send a portfolio up to twenty-four (24) photographs, with captions or file infoand a supporting text/story (200-250 words).
Jury members will receive the submitted works, without any info regarding the entrants’ identity, directly from the webhosting company. All metadata will have been removed from the digital files.
The awarded photographic project will be exhibited at the next Athens Photo World (2020) festival at an individual exhibition of the photographer.
A new judging committee will be appointed every year, under the permanent chair of Elisavet Saridou Behrakis, according to the expressed wishes of Yannis Behrakis, regarding the establishment of the award.
For the year 2019 the committee consists of:
- Elisavet Saridou Behrakis
- MaryAnne Golon, Assistant Managing Editor and Director of Photography at The Washington Post
- Santiago Lyon Director of Editorial Content at Adobe
- Lefteris Pitarakis, Associated Press Chief Photographer, Turkey, a close colleague and friend of Yannis Behrakis will serve as special advisor and assistant to the jury.
Specifically, for 2019 and due to the exceptional circumstances of this year, the winner will be announced and the prize will be awarded at a special event held in Athens late Sept. 2019.
From next year on (2020) the submissions open at the 31 st of December and close at the 30 st of April.
- Participation in the competition is free of charge.
- Participants must be professional photographers.
- The photographic project to be submitted for evaluation must have been carried out between January 2016 and August 2019.
- The photographic project submitted for evaluation should to be classified as a ‘reportage’ or ‘documentary’.
- Participants must also send an accompanying text/story, not exceeding 250 words.
Pride Photo Award