Opening: September 9, 2019
Deadline: December 31, 2019
Entry fee: Free
Prizes: ten grants of $8,000
For the inaugural Yannis Behrakis Photojournalism Grants program, Reuters Pictures reuters.com/pictures is offering ten grants of $8,000 USD for photojournalists and students to produce a photo project and develop their visual storytelling skills.
Successful stories will be distributed on Reuters platforms and Reuters Pictures editors will mentor recipients throughout their projects. Grantees will also receive Reuters instruction, including reporting and hostile environment training.
Rickey Rogers, global editor, Reuters Pictures, said: “In renaming the Reuters Photojournalism Grants program, we honour Yannis Behrakis, one of Reuters’ best-loved and most decorated photographers, who was best known for his humanitarian photography from some of the world’s most difficult locations. This is a fantastic opportunity for young, diverse photojournalists from around the world to be mentored by Reuters editors, and have their stories distributed and showcased globally. In addition, we’ve expanded the program from eight to ten grants, with each grant increased from $5,000 to $8,000 USD. Our fundamental aim remains the same: to promote top quality photojournalism.”
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18-35
- They must submit a 30-40 picture portfolio, a detailed story proposal and a CV.
- The project can be a work-in-progress or a new idea.
- A project focused on a subject in a community or location within close proximity, that can be completed in a few weeks or months, is advisable
Application and grant period
- Application period: 9 September 2019 to 31 December 2019
- Grant period: 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2020