Opening: December 17, 2019
Deadline: February 16, 2020
Entry fee: Free
CitiesToBe Photo Award: a photography contest for images that portrait cities and their complexity
Urbanization is a global phenomenon. Throughout the 20th century and especially in the last six decades, the world’s population has been progressively concentrated in urban centres. According to United Nations forecasts, in 40 years the world urban population will double, from 3,400 million in 2009 to 6,400 in 2050. This phenomenon takes even more importance in developing countries. Especially in Latin America, where there are large migrations from rural to urban areas and it is expected that, in the same year, almost 80% of the population of the continent will live in cities. In short, cities have acquired a fundamental role in contemporary global reality and concentrate a huge social, political and economic burden.
Urbanization is a phenomenon of great importance and it generates benefits of many types – cultural diversity, creativity, innovation, networking, new business opportunities, inspiration, collaboration. However, it also brings along some of the greatest challenges of the 21st century. In a context of globalization, current cities face major challenges at all levels – environmental, social and economic sustainability, energy efficiency, climate change, cultural conflicts, migrations, differences, inequality, infrastructure obsolescence or occupation and wealth. Cities are, therefore, complex ecosystems that concentrate multiplicity of layers. Their compounded nature and their powerful aesthetics make so many of us passionate about them.
Any individual over the age of 18 may participate in the CitiesToBe Photo Award, regardless of their geographical location or nationality.
Each participant may present one only photographic image.
Participation is free.
- One first acquisitive prize for the amount of 1,500 euros to the winning photograph
- 10 honorary mentions to the finalist images of the CitiesToBe Photo Award
- The winning image and the 10 honorary mentions will be featured in the CitiesToBe Photo Award 2019 ebook, to be digitally –and freely– disseminated to highlight and promote the work of the rewarded authors
- Entries for the CitiesToBe Photo Award can be submitted from 17th DECEMBER 2019
- The final deadline for submitting entries is midnight (CET) on 16th FEBRUARY 2020
- The Final Decision will be announced on 4th MARCH 2020